Erectile Dysfunction Doctor in Southwest Wisconsin
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is defined as difficulty in getting and maintaining an erection that is firm enough for sex. This condition is very common, and is actually the most frequent sexual health complaint from men of all ages.
Ian Stormont, MD is an expert urologist committed to providing the highest quality care to patients throughout the southwest Wisconsin area helping patients seek relief and treatment for erectile dysfunction. Dr. Stormont encourages patients to seek care as the vast majority of these problems are treatable and can be addressed in a stepwise, non-invasive fashion that improves quality of life.
Call (608) 723-2131 for our Lancaster office or (608) 776-5748 for our Darlington office to find the best treatment option for your erectile dysfunction. Dr. Stormont sees patients from Platteville, Fennimore, Dodgeville, and the surrounding areas.
What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile Dysfunction: It’s common, and it’s treatable.
If you are dealing with erectile dysfunction (ED), you are not alone: nearly one in every four men over sixty-five will experience some degree of erectile dysfunction.1 Younger men often struggle with ED as well. By taking the time to educate yourself about ED, you’ve made an important first step in finding a solution to erectile dysfunction (impotence).
Erectile Dysfunction is the consistent inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Erectile Dysfunction can be:
- A total inability to achieve an erection – You can never get an erection.
- An inconsistent ability to do so – You can only occasionally get an erection.
- A tendency to sustain only brief erections – You can get an erection, but can’t keep it long enough for satisfying sex.
What Causes ED?
As a result of recent medical research, it is now known that more than 80% of men suffering from ED can trace its origin to a physical problem or disorder.
For most men, the cause of ED can now be fairly easily identified. Once identified, proper treatment can be recommended that may help you return them to a satisfying sex life.
ED can be caused by physical disorders such as:
- An injury (i.e. brain or spinal cord)
- A disease (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol)
- Various studies have estimated that between 20% – 71% of individuals with diabetes suffer from erectile dysfunction.2
- An operation (i.e. prostate gland removal)
- Substance use (i.e. tobacco, drugs, alcohol or medications)
Other facts about Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence):
- Approximately 30 million American men suffer from erectile dysfunction.
- Most men with erectile dysfunction still have the ability to have an orgasm and father a child, but often have difficulty doing these things because they can’t get or sustain an erection.
- Erectile dysfunction is not normal and is by no means an inevitable consequence of aging.
- Most men at one time or another during their sexual lives are unable to get or keep an erection. This is normal and does not indicate a problem. However, millions of men of all ages experience this inability as a continuing problem.
- In most cases, erectile dysfunction can be overcome.
- Rosen R, et al. The process of care model for evaluation and treatment of erectile dysfunction. Int’l J. Impotence Research. 1999; 11, 59-74,
- Penson D, et al. Erectile Dysfunction in Diabetic Patients. Diabetes Spectrum. 2004, Vol 17, No. 4, 225-230.
More Questions? Ask Dr. Stormont!
If you would like additional information about erectile dysfunction treatment, please contact us today at (608) 723-2131 for our Lancaster office or (608) 776-5748 for our Darlington office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Stormont. You may also request an appointment with him online using our secure form.